06 April, 2011

Let's see...I missed out one lecture, but it doesn't look like it will be that big of a loss after all.
A quick summary for myself:

Deductive argument 
A Deductive Argument is a form of argument where the conclusion logically follows from the given premises. If the premises in a deductive argument are true and strongly support the conclusion, then the conclusion of the argument must also be logically true. It basically has three parts: 1) the major premise, 2) the minor premise, and 3) the conclusion.

Example
Jim likes either Coke or Pepsi.
Jim does not like Pepsi.
So, Jim likes Coke.

(more here)

Inductive argument
An Inductive Argument is a form of argument where the premises support the probability or likelihood of the conclusion. Regardless of the number of premises, the strength of the conclusion in aninductive argument depends on the strength of the individual premises that support it.
Generalizations from a sample to a universal claim.

Example
Every emerald examined has been green
Therefore all emeralds are green

(more here)

Abductive argument
In my own words - it's the combination of Inductive and Deductive argument where best possible assumptions are made from from the existing premises. Couldn't find a better explanation anywhere.

Example
If there were another planet outside Uranus, that would explain its course.
Therefore these is another planet outside Uranus.

I can't get online from my computer.
There's nothing wrong with my hardware or software.
So, the University network must be down.


(more on it all here, here and here)

____________________________________________________________________

Now, just to figure out how write an essay using these (which is really not hard) and I`m set.

Tomorrow is going to be an relatively easy day and I have all the damn homework done already, so guess I will take it easy and rest a bit. Though I might decide to read the damn book (for the damn summary I`m supposed to write) a bit later just so that I don't regret wasting my time for nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to criticize.