23 March, 2011

Phonetics

It doesn't look like I have much time left atm, but let's what can I squeeze out.
So I had this plan to browse some web and look up additional information for phonetics (the course at which I`m afraid that I might fail) and grammar. Since grammar is not as pressing on me, it's on hold for now and I`m working on phonetics. Will be writing this post as I go.

First I need to learn to make the damn difference between some vowel sounds, especially e,ə and ɜ:. Hopefully listening and repeating a record of those sounds will help me out some. The same page also offers useful additional information worth reading, btw.
After that I`m proceeding with listening to some select words that have their phonetic transcriptions written in front of me. I need something more elaborate but since I`m short on time it will have to do for now. (god, those damn transcriptions look so Russian when you are trying to read them so I actually read them as if it were Cyrillic).
Next. Tests and exercises: 1 - 6 out of 10 (frigging good start) ; 2 - 66.7% ; 3 - 100% ; 4 - 100% ; 5 - 63% ; 6 - 100% ; 7 - amazing 17% ; 8 - 100% ; 9 - 90% ; 10 - 90%
Some more additional information about schwa.
Ohshi- turns out that the word 'lamb' has  /b/ muted in it ! ( [læm] )
Ok, anyway, my brain can't keep up anymore, so I will just leave thisthis and this here, take a short pause and continue with studying for todays Reading Comprehension test.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to criticize.