09 November, 2011

What has happened over the past 30 years is the capture of the world's common treasury by a handful of people, assisted by neoliberal policies which were first imposed on rich nations by Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan. I am now going to bombard you with figures. I'm sorry about that, but these numbers need to be tattooed on our minds. Between 1947 and 1979, productivity in the US rose by 119%, while the income of the bottom fifth of the population rose by 122%. But from 1979 to 2009, productivity rose by 80%, while the income of the bottom fifth fell by 4%. In roughly the same period, the income of the top 1% rose by 270%.
via  George Monbiot @ guardian.co.uk

I think I should do some fact checking on this, but, meh, I`m too lazy for that and it won't change what that article is telling me.
While I`m not as dumb to go out on streets protesting against the products and brands I owe my lifestyle to, yelling "I`m the 99%", still I can't disagree that there is something essentially wrong with society when the rich ones get richer and poor ones keep getting poorer. I`m not sure that I even understand what the hell the rich people are doing with their goddamn money?
But oh well, I was never rich and never will be, so who am I to judge ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to criticize.