02 June, 2011

Ah, well, a report will do

Because it's such a tremendous torrent of text, I decided to hide it under a cut.



Let's start with that I`m quite bored for the past few weeks. The weekend right before our last study week was the most boring one I have had in years. The main reason is that, because I had no academic debts whatsoever and because the college staff was accounting for the students to have debts (of course most of them did), I had absolutely no home tasks and nothing really to catch up to, because it was the end of the semester and I have covered all the bases I had to.
Anyway, eventually I resorted to games and movies. Let's start with the latter one.

Movies
I watched The Rite, Sucker Punch and Babylon A.D.

The Rite was kind of an interesting movie to watch, as expected...well, it was most of what I expected so nothing really that special, while it could have been so much more. The over-the-top paranormal stuff kinda ruined it for me, when it had such a promising start. For some reason whenever I think of that movie, a picture of Keanu Reeves pops into my head...must be the fault of Constantine.

Sucker Punch was better than I expected. It's a nice CGI movie for the common folk people with and below the average IQ the majority of audience, that will leave them with a feeling that there is something deep buried inside the movie, but meh, it didn't impress me. Nonetheless it's a decent movie to go with your meals and midnight boringness, just don't bring it along to your Awesome Movie Night event.

Babylon A.D. was kind of a discovery for me. Mostly not because it was an awesome movie (it was quite good though), but because of the feeling of reality. I certainly wouldn't call it a typical Hollywood movie that does everything unrealistically  and holding its audience for a bunch of morons. Almost everything in the movie (a few explosions aside) had a decent explanation and seemed as real as possible. The reaction of people, the world, the science, the environment, the characters. I won't say that it was perfect, as nothing is perfect, but absolutely nothing about it bothered me while I was watching the movie and it's extremely rare something I haven't encountered in a sci-fi and action movie. I would say that it's most definitely a must-see movie, even if the ending isn't that satisfactory.

Games
In a way I continue the realism-in-sci-fi theme with the games as well. I finished the first The Witcher game and I`m currently somewhere in the middle of the second game The Witcher 2. The Witcher is a RPG game that's well recognized for not offering you the usual between red or blue (better known as dark or light) side, but instead giving you the choice between the shades of grey you feel most comfortable with. It's a more realistic view on the world in a game that's nowhere close to being realistic. And I do enjoy it very much. Otherwise it's mostly your standard top-tier RPG game intended for mature players and having ridiculously unresponsive game mechanics. The latter 2 are also extended in the second game and pushed even further to the extreme. Second game is most definitely a must-play for anyone who considers that he enjoys or has a taste for RPG games. It carries everything that was awesome about the game into the second game and adds better graphics to it. I would especially like to commend the game designer for making the game more suited for mature players by adding more explicit content and making the game a little bit more difficult (a feat most players, that are over 20, have been missing in the latest games). What I was disappointed about was that they did change the unresponsive game mechanics from the first game, in fact, they completely overhauled it all, but, unfortunately, it only became absolutely user-hostile. But you do get used to it in time...mostly by creating tactics that involve as little interaction with key buttons as possible.

College
As mentioned previously, college bored me atm. Currently we are in the middle of evaluation period and most people are plucking out their hair burning out their brain cells by overexerting them, but I`m sitting at my computer and playing computer games, lol. Thing is that, because I was so hard-working throughout the whole semester, I`m now freed from more than a half of my end-tests and exams in this semester. Additionally I also don't feel like the tests will be adequate for the level at which we command English and combined with my previous semester grades, it kills all the motivation I could muster up to study, because the chance of failing is so little that I would have a better luck at oversleeping. So I keep my studies for the tests down to recap of main key points before the test. It also keeps my brain rested, which too is an important factor for a test, lol.

Reality
Reality looks painfully blank...just like always. My parents still have troubles with job and I still can't find one for myself. I`m keeping my rations and consumption levels down to minimum. My current diet consists only of 1 or 2 of rice and eggs. It's unhealthy
Well, at least I will have my time to take up on something useful.
Additionally, on a more positive note, I finally won a place in a competition on facebook...unfortunately 1) it seems that I won only some souvenirs from Samsung 2) they wrote that they will contact all the winners personally but nobody has contacted me yet (it's a matter of principle, ffs)

Dreams and nightmares
Opening a window in a summer morning at 4 AM, seeing a bunch of cars parked, dead-silent suburban area, trees in a distance behind and hearing the birds, especially gulls - its what creates the most amazing nostalgic feeling in me. While I always keep whining that I don't really like summers because of the overwhelmingly sunny days (I do like warmth however), almost all my best memories of life are tied to summers and the best moments of all trace back to summer mornings. I usually really dislike the feeling of nostalgia, thinking of times that will never return, but this is the one feeling I can never have enough; sometimes I even turn on some music that I listened to back in my teen years to go with it.
Sometimes I still feel as if I still have long hair. Living with short hair sure is an interesting experience, but it's not really contributing for me, as I haven't yet experienced anything I wouldn't have anticipated. Cutting my hair down was really a regretful decision that I don't really regret, lol. My world hasn't changed, it's just that I get an uncomfortable feeling from time to time. Like uncontrolled farts, lol. Playing The Witcher does make me want to have long, white hair, but it's really a dream that will never come to reality as I imagine it.
Sometimes, watching the streets of Riga while driving in a tram, I enjoy the fantasies of building my own business. Nothing fancy at first, just something that would earn me my money while I keep studying. Sometimes I even feel that I could do it. But then again, I have no funds to create my own business, I`m not successful enough to hope to earn my right to build a business of my own one day and I don't have the background that would earn my a trust from a bank to give me loan for starting a business. It's what's fundamentally wrong with the universe, that those who already have a lot have an easier time of getting even more. I wonder how well it would work as an argument against the universe design to be intelligent.
Sometimes, more often, I dream that everything would just cease to exist. But, unfortunately, everything, heaven, hell and life, do exist and all three of them are present on Earth. And it's actually surprisingly hard to tell in which one of them you are in and it's impossible to make a choice between the two only valid choice you have: to sacrifice yourself or to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to criticize.